Believers suffer trials on a daily basis. Our trials and tests even when we are still imperfect beings are for a purpose. Trials and tests are some means God uses to confirm our faith in Him and the quality of our being as his followers. One question that Christians continue to seek answers is: what is the purpose of trials or tests in the life of a Christian?
Refine gold can never reach that beautiful state of being unless it goes through heat and fire. Practical Christian Living will not be realized on a silver platter.
Sportsmen and women improve on their physical strength by engaging in exercises that stress the muscle. For the believer, trials or tests stress our faith and works just like the heavy load’s bodybuilders use to toughen their muscles. Each time you go through trails or test, know that you are going through your Spiritual work out session.
3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:3-4
The test from James 1:3-4 makes it clear that trials and tests help believers learn to persevere, which helps us grow in the faith.
In the midst of tests or trials, we need to seek the face of God and ask Him to take us through the tough times aimed at refining our faith in Him.
Romans 5:2-5: through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
How God Uses Trials to the Advantage of the believer
- God uses trials to break our independence and foster our dependence on Him (2 Corinthians 1:8-9).
- God uses trials to purify our faith and develop our moral character inline with his plan for our lives (Romans 5:3-5).
- God uses trials to test, prove, and strengthen our faith in Him, this way we can continue to grow in knowing the power of His might (1 Peter 1:6-7).
- God uses trials to get us ready for his glorious purpose for our lives. These trials must come to help discover and uncover God’s calling and plans for our lives. (Romans 8:28-29).
- God works through trials to prove Himself powerful and reliable so that, we can also depend on his unfailing power to lead us to victory in everything no matter how long it takes (2 Corinthians 12:8-10).
- God uses trials to prove our faith works
May God grant us the grace and favour to remain strong in the face of tests and trails. Amen